Thursday, June 27, 2013

Keeping Vomit off the Page

The design element of our newspaper excites me the most.   Tracy Collins’ presentation was invaluable.   There were quite a few things that I had no clue about.  Tracy’s sense of humor and blunt but nonjudgmental criticism helped to make this an easy 3 hours.  Krispy Kreme doughnuts didn’t hurt either.

So what did I get out of it?  Well I learned how to recognize what sucks on the page.  Stories need to move the reader down the page.  USA Today “ruined” layout for everyone.  Just because you can insert wild and crazy things from InDesign doesn’t make it right.  Some of the worst issues on layout design arise out of boredom.  More thinking time creates an increased likelihood of “suck.” Templates are CLUTCH.

What Tracy thought would be utterly boring became the most helpful.  I had zero knowledge on Typography.  While I knew the vocab, I had no idea about some of the things that needed to change within InDesign to set the text correctly.   I think I may try to get with my editors sometime later in the summer and redo all of our old templates of pages and our style sheets.  We stay consistent quite often but I think it’s due to a ‘cut and paste’ mentality.  We can be more efficient.

Brandon Michaud
Winnacunnet High School
Hampton, N.H.

1 comment:

  1. My students REALLY want to play with extra design elements. It is so hard to commit to a design when there re so many possibilities. This session will help me do a better job of explaining WHY they need to stop playing and start thinking like real designers.

    It has been so great to be classmates with you, Brandon. I am so glad you get the chance to feed both your math and writing sides.

    Bonnie Katzive
    Monarch High School
    Louisville, CO

    ReplyDelete