Friday, June 28, 2013

Saying Goodbye "No No No No"


Who would have thought first day when I met Meghann P. and Juli M.  at the airport that twelve days later, so many friendships would have been made. So many great ideas, concepts and thoughts would be shared. So many catch phrases, funny jargon and teasing of one another would happen.

The best part? All jammed into twelve days of journalism heaven.

It was interesting that the first couple of days of the camp, we were feeling one another out similar to how our students feel one another out the first couple days of school. We were trying to see who had similar interests, was from the same region, same age, something would could use to build a bond with to make a first friend. For me, it was the first time I’ve traveled alone. I didn’t know anybody. I had expectations of an institute where I may use 50% of what was delivered, and I may be friends with 2-3 people and we may go out 2-3 nights during the camp. Thankfully, I was wrong.

It was so cool that with 35 teachers came 35 completely different stories to tell. We all obviously came here because we love journalism, have heard great things about this institute, and want to get better as an instructor. I’d put every dollar in my bank account that for every one of the 35 of us, we left with the highest regard, thankfulness, and appreciation for the people who gave us an opportunity, invested in us financially, and put tons of times into teaching us how to better our kids. How to get them to believe in scholastic journalism. How to motivate and inspire our kids to consider journalism as a career.

I truly believe that I can go back and make a case to my principals, administrators, and students of my school and proudly declare journalism as the best elective offered at our schools. We don’t’ shape our students to be professional journalists; we shape our students to be contributing, productive members of society. We prepare them for life.

I’m not sure what else to say. It was an emotional day at Cronkite. Once again, so blessed to be a part of this thing. #reynasu J

Spencer O’Daniel
Wichita High School West
Wichita, Kan. 

1 comment:

  1. There should be an additional element to this program: Reynolds 2.0, where a journalist follows us and then tells our story. I still feel like I have so much to learn from all of you!

    Velma Dinkley
    Munster High School
    Munster, Ind.

    ReplyDelete