Thursday, June 27, 2013

HOLY beep!

Tracy Collins has used this newspaper image for years and
wondered how the columnist felt about her writing being in
a terrible layout. Today he found out because she happened
to be sitting in the front row as a participant in the institute.
His mind was blown.


Scott makes a throw at the cornhole tournament.

   What a day. Tracy Collins blew my mind with design ideas then had his mind blown (see picture caption).
   In 7 years of using inDesign, I could never figure out how to keep the body text from scrunching up in some lines and spreading way out in others. It turns out there are settings to change to keep that from happening. Who knew? Certainly I did not. That is one of the first changes I will be implementing in our new page templates. That is only the tip of the iceberg. I can easily move letters closer together or farther apart in headlines.
   There are so many little tweeks that I will be able to make that will make the design and readability of the paper better. Awesome.
  
   The evening cornhole double elimination tournament was outstanding. In other years with other groups, I imagine that there was not a tournament, but just some fun unstructured games. Not with this competative group. As an ultimate player for the last 20 years who was played in a lot of tournaments, I was thankful for the double elimination format. My team lost our first game then had a good run into the final four or five. I personally felt sick since lunchtime, but when Michael Jordan was really sick one time he scored 55 points in a single game. Everybody on my team did great and I had a ton of fun in spite of feeling ucky.
   I also enjoyed the yankee exchange Mike organized. It was fun to see the things people brought from where they live.

Greg Cantwell
Sheldon High School
Eugene, Ore.

No comments:

Post a Comment